23.2.11

Strolling for Inspiration

Living in the suburbs has an endless list of inconveniences and lack of opportunity for a 20-something struggling professional. And, apart from all the glamour that is associated with metropolitan it is mostly the opportunity for inspiration that comes with such density that really sets the burbs and downtown apart. Of course, inspiration can be anywhere. But my inspiration, generally comes from observing people, which cannot be found outside a mall or car out here.

So, I ventured toward the massive concrete retail prison dubbed the mall for most and began my stroll vaguely aware that I just might not find anything. What was new and exciting out here? Even the sales people remained far from their store doors, hiding from potential customers behind their cashiers. I wondered how many of these stores actually generated a consistent profit? Or perhaps that really wasn't the point. Perhaps to some degree, as long as stores broke even, retailers had a form of advertising that could be for free. Brand recognition to their target. Shoppers.

As I continued my stroll, I observed all kinds of shoppers but generally never quite alone as I was. People would bring along their friend, grandma, child, whatever. Shoppers need reassurance. And in the buying process I think this was the final push into purchase that shoppers need. Affirmation. Acceptance or even proof of a positive social reaction. And so, applying this tidbit of information to say, in-store layout, design should take into consideration the opportunity for affirmation. This is ultimately what fashion retaillers need to plan their floor space for.

No comments:

Post a Comment